What is a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentists are dedicated to the oral health of children from infancy through the teen years. They have the experience and qualifications to care for a child’s teeth, gums, and mouth throughout the various stages of childhood. Children begin to get their baby teeth during the first 6 months of life. By age 6 or 7 years, they start to lose their first set of teeth, which eventually are replaced by secondary, permanent teeth. Without proper dental care, children face possible oral decay and disease that can cause a lifetime of pain and complications. Early childhood dental caries—an infectious disease—is 5 times more common in children than asthma and 7 times more common than hay fever. You must visit Pediatric Dentist in Karve Road Kothrud for better dental health for your young one.
PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY(CHILDREN’S DENTISTRY)
Pediatric dentistry is a branch of dentistry that deals with the dental treatment of infants and kids. It involves numerous preventive modalities to prevent the onset of dental problems as well as interceptive modalities to manage dental problems that have already set in. Many children and adolescents are exposed to multiple dietary factors like processed food which can cause dental decay as well as improper oral hygiene hygiene habits which all lead to decayed deciduous (milk) teeth. Maintaining the health of milk teeth is important for the development of permanent teeth Premature loss of milk teeth can cause abnormal positioning of permanent teeth which may then require correction in the future. Early exposure to dental treatment increases compliance in maintaining good oral hygiene in adulthood.
Following are the various pediatric procedures that are carried out routinely :
- Preventive treatments such as topical fluoride application and fissure sealants
- Treatment of decay which includes fillings and if need be baby root canals
- Space maintainers in case of premature loss of milk teeth /tooth to maintain the space for the permanent tooth to erupt in place.
- Habit-breaking appliances for habits like thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, and nail-biting which can cause abnormal positioning of teeth if not detected and corrected early.
- Milk tooth extractions in cases of advanced decay in which the tooth cannot be saved.
At novacare dental we take special care of your child’s dental treatment needs while also trying to inculcate good oral hygiene habits in your child’s daily routine to prevent future dental problems.